FROM THE DESK OF THE
Who is like unto to thee O Lord, among the gods, who is like thee, Glorious in holiness and fearful in praises, always doing wonders! Hallelujah!
I am very happy to write this speech as we conclude the academic year of our great citadel of learning. It has spanned through September 2018 to July 2019. It has been a great session.
During this memorable year, we had a number of activities as stated below:
- In the first term, we started with the parent’s tea party. It was an interactive session organized for parents in getting to know the teachers in charge of their child(ren)/ward and what they are imparting in their lives (scheme of works).
- We also had series of entrepreneurship field trips for the pupils of primary six. Notable among the places visited include; Mercy Farms in Badagry, Mr. Fish at Iyana Ipaja, Digital Encode Cyber Security Company amongst others.
- We had a visit to the orphanage Home where we donated many food items and other gift items to the children. We were very happy to be counted amongst those that have done such.
- Our Christmas Party was a very exciting and colourful one.
- During the course of the year, we had a trade fair in the school premises organized by the pupils and the entrepreneurship teacher. It was a very beautiful event because most of the things exhibited were made from Ankara crafts
- Our Cultural Day also took place this session though in a small way. The pupils were still able to showcase their different cultural attires and native foods.
- Community Social Responsibility (C.S.R.)
As a school, we are committed to contributing positively to our community by imparting lives in the area of entrepreneurship, leadership and character building. To this end, we organized a free medical and health check-up. There was a massive turn-out and people were tested freely on their blood pressure, blood sugar level, and other necessary medical tests. The health practitioner of the day gave a talk on the essence of water. He stated and I quote “Every system in the body needs water to function maximally when you drink enough water, it helps you look your best. For example water gives your skin a healthy look and keeps it hydrated. And because water contains zero calories, it can be an excellent tool for managing your weight as well. Besides, water flushes toxin out from our kidney leaving it healthy and functions at its best.”
- Personal Learning Goals
Every day in the session, we impart the lives of our pupils with personal learning goals and verses from the scriptures in order to shapen their moral lives for the present time and later in the future
- Staff Training And Assessment
During the course of the session, the staff of the school had in-house training. A few of the staff went to ‘The National SchoolFair/Training’, at the Federal Place Hotel, Victoria Island Lagos. Some also went to the Cambridge University Press Training for teachers. Topic –HOW TO HELP CHILDREN DEVELOP A PASSION FOR LEARNING.
- Extra-Curricular Activities
Our brownies had several interesting activities this session. They had the “Thinking Day”. The Boys Scout also had interesting activities like the Cub Scout Camping. A visit to the Lekki Conservation Centre amongst other activities.
We celebrate all our pupils who had written various examinations and have passed. We specifically congratulate the primary six pupils who wrote the National Common Entrance Examination (NCEE) for their success. They were referred to as the ‘Fantastic Four’. They are;
- D’almeida Anita – Rainbow College, Lagos.
- Disu Oluwaseyi – New Era Girls School, Surulere.
- Ilorah Onyinye – Lagoon Secondary School, Lagos
- Shonowo Ebenezer – Nigerian Air force Secondary School, Abeokuta.
I seize this opportunity to whole-heartedly thank our Board of Management headed by Mr. Olubunmi Onafowokan FCA as the proprietor for his constant guidance and constructive advice. Our deep gratitude also goes to Mrs. Oladunni Okupe-Emu our special adviser on the board in the areas of curriculum assessment and human capital development.
At Green Olives, we have a commitment to the education of child from infancy (3 months) to 11 years. We believe in developing the innate talent of the child from an early age. Every child is unique and is a blessing. It is the responsibility of parent supported by the school and care givers to bring out the hidden potentials in each child.
I salute my ever tireless teaching and non-teaching staff under the leadership of our energetic Head-Teacher Miss Carlton Constance. On behalf of the board of management I say a big thank you for all your commitment to the success of the school. Your efforts are recognized and highly appreciated.
To our parents, we say thank you for your support over the past 17 years of the existence of our great school. We welcome the new parents who came on board and hope that we have been able to meet your expectations.
We are open to any constructive advice that would move the school forward and above all benefit the education of the children.
To my gracious children, I thank you for being hardworking and well behaved. I am glad that all of you are growing in wisdom in line with the motto of our school. To our out-going pupils, we will miss you a great deal. Please keep the flag flying in your new schools and remember that you are Green Olives Ambassador.
I end with this scripture from Psalms 52:8 … “But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever”.
Mrs. Funmilayo Onafowokan FCA